10 Privacy Principles of the Code for the Protection of Personal Information
The credit union is responsible for personal information under its control and shall designate a privacy officer who is accountable for the credit union’s compliance with the principles of the Code.
The purposes for which personal information is collected shall be identified by the credit union at or before the time the info
The collection of personal information shall be limited to that which is necessary for the purposes identified by the credit union. Information shall be collected by fair and lawful means.
- Limiting Use, Disclosure, and Retention Personal information shall not be used or disclosed for purposes other than those for which it was collected, except with the consent of the individual or as required by law. Personal information shall be retained only as long as necessary for the fulfillment of those purposes.
- Accuracy Personal information shall be as accurate, complete, and up-to-date as is necessary for the purposes for which it is to be used.
- Safeguards Security safeguards appropriate to the sensitivity of the information shall protect personal information. The credit union will employ the same standard of care as it takes to safeguard its own confidential information of a similar nature.
- Openness The credit union shall make readily available specific, understandable information about its policies and practices relating to the management of personal information to its employees, and individuals who are members of the credit union.
- Individual Access Upon request, an individual shall be informed of the collection, use, and disclosure of his or her personal information by the credit union, and shall be given access to that information. An individual is entitled to challenge the accuracy and completeness of the information and have it amended as appropriate.
An individual shall be able to question the credit union’s privacy officer regarding compliance with the above principles. The credit union shall put policies and procedures in place to respond to an individual’s questions and concerns